Tuesday, March 1, 2011

PLUNK

What plunks a person out of your acquaintance category and into your friend category?

To me, a friend is someone that trudges with you through all the parts of your life. They take part in the warm and fuzzy moments but also provide you with extra support when you feel like at any moment the world is going to crash down on you. A friend celebrates your achievements without negativity even when you may have succeeded at a goal they wish to attain themselves. This is by no means an easy task, but a true friend can set their own feelings aside and realize that this achievement or goal has nothing to do with their own personal success.

I have a tremendous friend like that. We had both been working out together religiously for months in order to reach our ideal weight. We promised we’d celebrate as soon as we reached our goal. I was far from the ‘athletic’ type and never once during our workout sessions did I hear negativity even if I held her back from more strenuous activities because I wasn’t up to the challenge.
I was way behind when we would run together and she would run back and cheer me to keep going, sacrificing her own more intense workout to suit what I was able to do.
After months of exercising, (Due only to metabolism,) I met my goal first. Rather than my friend becoming explosive and frustrated at seeing me reach my goal weight when she still had a few left to lose (she looked amazing anyway!) she cheered and as promised celebrated my success. A friend should be your biggest cheerleader! Sometimes your own negative voices need to be muted by a friend that motivates them right out of your head. The most important part about friendship is that it’s not a race, there’s no score and the whole purpose is to have fun!

As we get older and life gets harder we need to have these constant people in our lives to help us ride out the storm on the days when all we feel is thunder and torrential downpours. If the friend is adding lightning to the mix, it might be time to plunk that friend back into the acquaintance category.

Friends are the pillars on your porch. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes they lean on you, and sometimes it's just enough to know that they are standing by.” Unknown
"Virtual High Five"
Charly

No comments:

Post a Comment