Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Getting back on the horse

Spring has sprung and with it all the outdoor runners; which I was a member of until I feel off the wagon and then got run over by it. Today I decided to get back up on that horse and go after my goal.

I have waivered back and forth when it has come to leading a healthy lifestyle; different eating styles, Pilates, yoga, circuit training, running…etc… But one undeniable fact that always comes from these waivers is that I feel 100% better when I am leading a better lifestyle. I have more energy and my mood is always improved. So why do I fall off the horse?

It’s easy to blame schedules, life changes or anything else we can think of. For me It takes me a while to get hooked to being active, but after a while I get addicted to it, I need to be doing it. However falling off the horse is a much quicker action. This can happen from missing a single day of exercise.

I think that my reasoning is I try to do everything all at once; I go from zero to sixty in the blink of an eye and don’t give myself enough time to make life changes instead of quick diet decisions. One thing I know for sure is that since the weather has been getting nicer I have been itching to get out, so maybe a little did stick last time.

So today instead of doing what I normally try and do which would be going out first time of the season and try and run 8k, I took my dog out for a quick power walk around our little town and ended up feeling great about it. My first instinct was to immediately restrict my calories to see bigger results faster, but instead I am going to watch what I eat and make smart meal choices, cut out the obviously bad foods a little at a time.

I hiked all through Costa Rica, including a volcano.
I can do anything...right?
I have had this goal stuck in my head for years now and I am tired of looking back at old calendars with the date circled of when I was to achieve this goal. So I am going to reach it, I am going to take my baby steps and work my way to my goal, because I deserve it.

I think sometimes we want something so bad we don’t want to work for it or we want it right now and then it’s easy to get discouraged because not all goals are attainable overnight. Make sure that when you’re setting goals there attainable so that you’re not setting yourself up for a big disappointment. Enjoy the ride along the way and learn from every up and down.

Because, no matter what your goals do not define you; you define your goals. 

Lotsa Love,
Tash

No comments:

Post a Comment