Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hokey Pokey

We all have our own comfort zone, some are larger than others, but we all have them. Comfort zones are generally good, unless we never step out of it for fear of trying something new. Could you imagine if no one ever stepped out of their comfort zone and were just content with how things are? You probably never would have tried that great Thai place down the road or gone to that bar where you met your partner. How about all the great artists, where would they be if they never stepped out of their comfort zone?
Yes you can make those shoes work!
 I know that your comfort zone is warm and fuzzy and hard to step out of, but let’s give it a try. Take it from a gal with purple suede knee high boots; stepping out of the zone can be fun. It can lead to new purchases, friendships, jobs and maybe even loves. It can be something as simple as a different shade of lip gloss, a color you love but aren’t sure if you can wear or a new restaurant. I cannot even imagine a time where sushi was not a part of my life, but there was a very sad time where I knew what I liked and there was no way I was eating raw fish. I think what forced me to open up my horizons to new food was when I worked at a fine dining restaurant. They changed their menu once a month and part of the job was that we had to taste everything unless we were allergic. The purpose of this was so we could describe the flavours to the patrons. Nothing there was simple or like anything I had ever eaten before, but guess what, I loved it! That experience opened up my mind to new foods and I am now proudly a lover of pretty much anything edible. Sometimes we need a push from a friend or colleague to try something new, sometimes it can be just that we are tired of our regular routine and our white wall plain comfort zone is going to get a renovation (I’m thinking red).
 This can be said about everything in our lives; our jobs, clothes, food, love and even education. It is the natural course of things to change, evolve. So maybe next time go for that promotion, instead of sitting back and watching someone else get the job. When you are at your favourite coffee shop, try that crazy sounding latte you’ve been eyeing up every day for a month, if you don’t like it then you don’t like it, it’s that simple, but it could be a new favourite. Smile at the cutie down the hall, maybe even initiate conversation. Buy those shoes that you have wanted but just didn’t think you could pull off, you can. You’ll be amazed at how many things start feeling comfortable after a while. Trying new things in general may become a part of what’s comfortable for you.

Challenge yourself to try something new!
 My homework assignment to you is to try something new and step out of your comfort zone at least once a month. Go ahead and dance the hokey pokey with your comfort zone, you won’t regret it!


Lotsa Love,
Natasha

No comments:

Post a Comment